Monday, October 29, 2012

Spaghetti Lover's Soup

I found this recipe from Christy Jordan over at the Southern Plate.  It caught my attention because it was different.  I hope you will like it too.
Sort of the makings for chili except you start with some leftover spaghetti sauce.
You will need about 2 cups leftover spaghetti sauce.  Put it in your pan.
Add 2 cans diced tomatoes.  I think next time I might use crushed because I don't like large hunks of tomato floating around.  Whichever you prefer.
The recipe calls for 2 cans of kidney beans but I added three.  I like lots of beans and a thicker soup.  I did not drain them before adding.  I went back and looked and could not find anywhere about drain or not drain so I didn't drain them.
After all the beans were added.  Usually I have light and dark kidney beans to use a mixture but I didn't have but the light kidney beans this time.
Add 2 cups water.
Add 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning.  If you put a lot of seasoning in your sauce you might cut back on this some.
The recipe calls for 2 carrots chopped.  I have only baby carrots so I just eyeballed it.  My husband said the carrots made the soup a little strange because they didn't seem to belong.  Add them or don't it won't matter.  The recipe called for 2 stalks of celery chopped too and I didn't have any.  It's another thing you can add or don't add.
Let this cook for a little while for the carrots to cook.
Then add some spaghetti noodles.  I did not use angel hair pasta like I normally use with spaghetti I used thin noodles.  Break them into small pieces and lett cook.
It is ready to eat once the spaghetti noodles are done.
The recipe did not call for garnishing it with Italian or mozarella cheese but I just couldn't resist.
Fixed me a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it too.

Spaghetti Lover's Soup Recipe

2 c leftover spaghetti sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
2 carrots
1 stalk celery
2 c water
1 T Italian seasoning



No comments:

Post a Comment