Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Blackberry Crumble

I like blackberries and my husband doesn't so when my friend that was coming for lunch said she would like blackberry pie when I asked what she wanted for lunch, I jumped on it.  I had a bag of homegrown blackberries in the freezer that my daddy picked this summer so I was set.  I wanted to make something different than just the regular cobbler.  So where do you go when you are looking for new recipes...Pinterest.  I think you will enjoy this recipe and you could probably make it with different fruit if you do not care for blackberries.
This recipe is in two parts.  You will want to start with 1 quart of blackberries thawed, sugar and vanilla.
Put your berries in a dish and mash them with a fork. This releases the juices.
Now sprinkle 3/4 c sugar on top of the berries.
Then add about 1 tablespoon vanilla to the mixture.  I didn't measure the vanilla just eyeballed it.
Then mix it up well and let it sit for a few minutes while you make the topping.
This is the ingredients for the crumble topping.
You will use 3/4ths of the stick of butter in the crumble so put the other 1/4 on top of the berries.
In a bowl add 1/2 heaping cup of oats.
1/2 heaping cup of flour.  I used plain flour because it was handy.
1/2 c brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Cut the 3/4 stick of butter into pieces and put the whole mixture in a food processor to mix well.  You can do this by hand with a pastry cutter as well.
This is what the topping will look like.
Sprinkle the topping on top of the berries.  Place the pie in a preheated 350 degree oven.  Bake for about 35-40 minutes. I guess I was so excited to visit with my friend I forgot to take a picture of the finished produce.  Serve warm with ice cream.

Blackberry crumble recipe

1 qt blackberries
3/4 c sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 c heaping cup oats
1/2 c heaping flour
1/2 c brown sugar
2 t cinnamon
1 stick butter



No comments:

Post a Comment