Monday, September 16, 2013

Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings

I have tried several different wing recipes, but I think this is my favorite one.  The wings are crispy on the outside and the meat falls off the bone.  You can make them as hot or mild as you like too.
I know you are looking at this picture and saying "baking powder"?
In a zip lock bag place 2 Tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Dry the chicken wings.
And place in the bag.  It is easier to put all of them in there at one time.  Shake, shake, shake.  You won't get a heavy coating on the wings and that is perfect.
Line a cookie sheet with foil.  Place a wire rack on the cookie sheet.  Place the wings on the rack. Place in a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes, place on the botton rack in the oven.  Make sure the skin side is up. At the end of the 30 minutes turn the oven up to 425, and move to the top rack.  Bake for 25 minutes.  After 25 minutes turn the pan around in the oven and bake another 25 minutes.
While the wings are baking, melt 1/3 cup butter.
Add about 1/2 cup hot sauce. 
I decided I wanted them a little hotter so added another 1/4 cup.
The wings come out of the oven.  Next time I will remember to spray the wire rack. The chicken stuck to the rack.
Put the wings in a bowl.
Pour the hot sauce over the wings and toss them in the sauce.
The look so good.
Perfect gameday meal.






18 comments:

  1. Are the wings frozen when you start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I just now saw the question. Yes they are thawed when I start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only baking powder ? Nothing else in the bag?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Tablespoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure but I don't think I would. They need to be dry before you coat with baking powder. I don't think they would be as crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these tonight following your recipe EXACTLY and they were outstanding! I have never been brave enough to try wings at home, but these were foolproof! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked them. They are a family favorite here at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these today for Super Bowl and everyone loves them!! They came out super crunchy and much better than deep fried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Made these today for Super Bowl and everyone loves them!! They came out super crunchy and much better than deep fried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them. It takes a little longer to bake them but much better than fried.

      Delete
  10. I made these last night for Super Bowl and they were fantastic....except....there was too much salt. Next time I would add only 1 tsp instead of 2. I also didn't see how many #s of wings you used anywhere in the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how many wings either. I just used what came in the bag.

      Delete
  11. These are really, really good! I make them all the time, there doesn’t even need to be a game on! I don’t dress them in the sauce, we’re “dipping” people, so I’ll have barbecue sauce, blue cheese dressing, etc available. I make a couple batches at a time, it’s great to have a quick yummy protein available for lunch or a snack. 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete