Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Peach Strudel

I know, I know I have made strudels before but this is the first peach one.  The main difference between peaches and apples for strudel are that the peaches have more juice in them so it gets a little messy.  I had some peaches that needed to be used and I found this recipe.  So I had to try it.

Actually I filled in with a couple of nectarines.  The peaches were a little small and there were some bruises on them so the nectarines were a nice addition.
Let the piece of puff pastry thaw while you are cutting the peaches up.  You don't want it to be too thawed.  I did that one time and it was too soft to work with.
All the peeled and chopped peaches.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla to the peaches.
Add 1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
Roll out the puff pastry.  They say into a 14x12 rectangle.  I never have measured mine.
It's all rolled out.
Add the peaches down the middle.  There were probably too many peaches when all was said and done.  But you want there to be plenty of fruit.
I added the chopped pecans along the top instead of tossing them with the peaches.
Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Fold over both sides to close up the strudel. Pinch the bottoms closed really well.
In a bowl crack an egg.
Add 1 Tablespoon of water. Whisk them together.
Brush the egg mixture all over the top and sides of the strudel.
Nice and shiny.
If you like you can sprinkle the top with 2 Tablespoons of coarse sugar. Cut a couple of slits in the top. Place in a preheated 400 oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.  You can see all the juices leaking out of the bottom.  It doesn't matter it was still good.
I had baked this earlier in the day but if yours is still warm a little vanilla ice cream would be good with this.

Peach Strudel Recipe
1 pkg 16 oz frozen peaches or 4-6 fresh peaches
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 pkg puff pastry sheets thawed 
2 Tablespoons coarse sugar

1 egg
1 Tablespoons water


No comments:

Post a Comment