Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches

For years my husband has talked about these Italian beef sandwiches he used to get in Corinth Mississippi.  When I found this receipe, you guessed it on Pinterest, I showed it to him to see if it looked like the sandwiches he remembered.  He thought it might work.  So this was our gameday food for Saturday's game.  They turned out really well and they will be put into the rotation.
This is so easy to put together.
Put a 2-3 lb beef roast in your crock pot.
I mixed the one can of beef broth (2 cups) with the two packets of Zesty Italian salad dressing mix.  I used Good Seasons.
Pour it over the roast.  Some of the seasoning stuck to the side of the cup so I scraped it out.
All those good seasonings on top.  Cover the pot and cook 8-10 hours.  I planned on cooking mine for 10 hours.
One hour before you are ready to serve the sandwiches, add a 12 oz jar of pepperoncini rings, include the juice.  My original recipe did not say yes or no as far as the juice from the peppers, so I searched and found other recipes.  I found one that said to add the juice.
My jar ws 16 oz so I wasn't going to add the entire jar.  I ended up adding just half the jar because I wasn't sure what they were going to taste like.  It did make the meat a little spicy but not too bad.  Just every now and then you caught a litttle spice.  So if you want it more spicy add more.
There's the peppers and juice. Cover and cook for an additional hour.
After another hour of cooking.
Now you will want to shred the meat.  I am really picky and want all pieces of fat off my meat.
Just shred it to a bowl.
The entire roast shredded.  Be careful and use a couple of forks if not you will lose some fingerprints trying to pull the hot meat.
Add some of the juice and peppers from the pot.  You might want to skim the juice a little to keep the fat out.  Toss the meat to mix well with the juice.  The juice will also keep the meat from drying out.
Now time to toast the bread.  I found these really good hoagie buns at Target.  I am going to have to remember them.  They have a nice base to load up the meat without it falling off.
I used a little spray butter on the bread and used my grill to toast it.
Load up the bread with meat and pepperoncinis.
Top with some cheese and melt the cheese.
I just melted the cheese in the toaster oven.  You can use whatever kind of cheese you like.
Don't they look good on my Bama plates?
Eat up and enjoy the game.

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe

2-3 lb beef roast
2 cups beef stock
2 packets Italian Salad Dressing Mix
1 12 oz jar pepperoncini rings
Hoagie buns
cheese



1 comment: