Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole

A long name for a very easy dish.  It's be a while since I have posted a new crock pot recipe.  This one is a keeper.
Potatoes, chicken, bacon and cheese.  What's not to like.
Not a very good picture, but anyway, put about half the tater tots in the bottom of the crock pot that you have sprayed with non stick spray.
Put about a 1/3 of the bacon on top.  The recipe called for using the bacon in a pouch.  I cooked bacon slices and put about 3 slices crumbled on top.
Then sprinkle about a 1/3 of the cheese.
Cut up your chicken into small pieces and add on top.  I used two chicken breast but they were huge.
Sprinkle with 1/3 (3 pieces) bacon and 1/3 of the cheese.
Put the rest of the tater tots on top.
I strayed away from the recipe a little bit here but I love onions so I added one medium chopped onion on top.  I was going to put it on top of the chicken but forgot so put it on top of the tots.
Top with the remaining 1/3 cheese and bacon.
Pour 3/4 c of milk over the top of the casserole. Cover and cook for about 6 hours.
After 6 hours.  Smelled so good while it cooked.
I served it up with some green beans.  It was very good.

Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole Recipe

1 32oz bag frozen tater tots
1 3 oz bag bacon pieces (or 9 pieces of bacon cooked)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast diced
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 c milk
salt and pepper
you can add a chopped onion too if you like

7 comments:

  1. Did you use the high or low setting on your crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. I usually use low setting. I don't really like to cook on High. But if you are short on time High will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if ground hamburger could substitute for the chicken. I just happen to have a good size pkg of ground beef that I got on sale...thought about using that instead of buying chicken. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added the step of browning the chicken pieces in a skillet before adding them to the crockpot, since meat cooks but does not brown in a crockpot--and I like the meat to be browned a bit. Admittedly, this slows down the prep a bit, but the finished product made it worth it. This reminded me so much of loaded potato skins that I served it topped with dollops of sour cream, which my husband and I both love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete