Monday, October 15, 2012

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I know it says noodle soup but I had a box of alphabet noodles that I had been wanting to use to mine is chicken alphabet soup this time.  The bottom line is you can use whatever kind of noodles you like.  If you can find stars they would be fun too.  Normally I use the flat egg noodles and they are really good in it as well.
I had done a little prep work before I made the picture this time. I had already chopped a medium onion, two stalks of celery and the baby carrots.
I started with a large box of chicken broth.  I think it says 32 oz.  The recipe calls for 24 oz so I like to add a little extra.
Add a cup of water.  I added just a little bit more.
The chopped onion goes in.
The chopped celery goes in.  I know a lot of you don't care for celery so you don't have to put it in your soup if you don't want to.
I have seen on the cooking shows where they say to chop up the celery leaves as well to add some flavor so I did in this recipe.  There again if you don't want it in your soup don't put it.
The chopped baby carrots.  You can use regular carrots but I keep baby carrots they are just easier.
The recipe calls for 2 bouillon cubes.  I have the bouillon granules.  They work just as good and I think dissolves better.  The jar says one teaspoon equals one cube.  So I added 2 teaspoons.
I had a little over a cup of frozen peas leftover in the freezer.  So I put those in my soup too.  They were not in the recipe and if you don't like them leave them out.  That is the beauty of this recipe you can add things you like to it. I also like a hearty soup so the extra veggies are nice.
Salt to taste.
Pepper
I also added some parsley flakes to mine as well.
Now to add the cooked chicken.  The recipe calls for 3 or 4 boneless,skinless chicken breast.  You can also use canned chicken.
Stir it up well and let simmer.  I put the pasta in after it had cooked for a little while.  You don't have to cook it too long just long enough for the carrots to cook but the longer it cooks the better it gets I think.
Not the best picture sorry about that.  Added about half the box of alphabets.  Let that cook until they are done.
Nothing like a bowl of chicken soup with a grilled cheese on a cool fall night.

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe

1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 celery stalks diced
1 cove garlic diced fine
3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 packs of ramen noodles broken into pieces ***
24 oz chicken broth
1 c water
salt and pepper to taste

You can add other things to this recipe as well or leave them off.
***This is what the original recipe calls for.  I have made it with the ramen noodles and I have made it with the flat egg noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment