Thursday, October 11, 2012

Bacon-Parmesan Brussels Sprouts

When we were in California we saw fields of brussels sprouts growing.  Until we saw them growing I did not realize that they grown up and down the stem.  The plants look like a cabbage plant and a thick stalk grows up the middle and the little cabbages grown up and down it.  They cut that stem and I guess later cut the small sprouts off.  We actually saw in one store where you could buy the sprouts still on the stem.  I can honestly say I have never cooked brussels sprouts before.  I have eaten them, and they aren't bad but never cooked them.  I have been looking for a recipe that I wanted to try.  The new Simple and Delicious magazine arrived Saturday and had a recipe that actually made me want to try them.
Bacon, onion, cheese and sprouts.  What could be wrong with that?
Cook the bacon and save 1 T of the drippings.  Pour them into a skillet and use it to saute the onions.
After the onions are softened add the brussel sprouts
Add 2 T water.
Add a little fresh pepper
Cut up the cooked bacon and add to the top of the sprouts.
Right before serving add about 1 T parmesan cheese.
Then serve.  I think of brussels sprouts as a fall vegetable.  I could be wrong but they were really good. I might have to make the little cabbages again.

Bacon-parmesan brussels sprouts recipe

5 bacon strips cooked and chopped
1 pkg (16oz) frozen Brussels Sprouts thawed
1/3 c sliced onion
2 T water
1/4 t pepper
1 T grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment