Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chicken Artichoke Casserole

Continuing with our California theme of vegetables I found this recipe for Chicken artichoke casserole. I actually found this in Women's World magazine while we were in California. I hope you will give it a try.
Basic things for a casserole.  The only different things were the croutons and asiago cheese.
Saute onions and bell pepper in a little olive oil.  The recipe calls for red bell pepper and the red can be pretty and a little sweeter in a recipe I used what I already had, green pepper.
In a saucepan I emptied a jar of alfredo sauce.  The recipe calls for refrigerated sauce but I use the jar kind I had in the pantry.
To the sauce I added 1/2 c reduced fat mayo
One can of artichoke hearts chopped.
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup shredded asiago cheese.  I had to grate this myself because I could not find shredded asiago cheese at the grocery store.  I think you could probably use an Italian blend cheese in place of this if you can not find it.
Mix well and pour into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray.
This was the fun part.  I need to crush 1 1/2 c cheese croutons.  I opened the bag to let the air out and then used my rolling pin to beat them into crumbs.  It works really well.
Sprinkle the croutons on top.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
The finished product.
You can add some chopped scallions on top.

Chicken artichoke casserole recipe

1 T olive oil
1 red pepper chopped 1 cup
1/4 c onion
3 c chopped cooked chicken
1 can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
1 container alfredo pasta sauce
1 c shredded asiago cheese
1/2 c reduced fat mayo
1 1/2 c cheese croutons, coarsely crushed
additional sliced scallions



No comments:

Post a Comment