Thursday, January 4, 2018

Pioneer Woman Apple Cider Turkey Brine

I know it is way past Thanksgiving when I tried this recipe but you remember all the cookie recipes. :) But who says you have to have turkey only at Thanksgiving.  This recipe was easy, you just have to do a little planning for time.  The last couple of years I like to cook two turkey breast at Thanksgiving.  That gives me one to play around with the recipe and one to cook regular.  I don't think I will be trying other recipes any more.  This recipe was the best one so far by a long shot.  The brine smelled so good when I mixed it up. There were a couple of other interesting things I will share with you later.

The brined turkey meat is on the left.  Tender and juicy. 
This is all you need to make a wonderful brine.
Earlier in the fall probably around Halloween I saw some apple cider in the store and I grabbed a jug of it and said I'll make something with it at Thanksgiving.  I didn't have a recipe in mind or anything. Start with 3 cups apple juice or apple cider.
2 gallons cold water
2 cups brown sugar
About 4 Tablespoons fresh rosemary.  I wouldn't use dried.  You can buy fresh herbs in the grocery store if you don't have a plant.
5 whole bay leaves
3 Tablespoons whole peppercorns
1 1/2 cup kosher salt.  I would not use as much next time.  I thought it was a little salty.  Not bad but I think it could use less.
Then the peel of three large oranges.
Put all this in a large pot.  This is the pot I am going to brine the turkey in. Stir it well.
Bring to a boil and turn the heat off.  Let the brine cool well before adding the turkey.  This is part of the timing issue.
Put the turkey in and make sure the water covers it.  If it doesn't add some additional water.  Cover and refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours. 
The next morning or about 30 minutes before you are ready to cook the turkey set it out of the fridge.
Set the turkey aside. Clean out the pot.
You will drain the brine.  Add fresh water to the pot and let sit for 15 minutes or even longer.  This helps get rid of the salt. 
The turkey on the left is the brined turkey.  You can see it has a tint to it.  You will dry the skin.
I added butter, salt and pepper to the outside of both turkeys. I will admit here that I use a turkey bag to cook my turkeys in the oven.  It is easy.  The turkeys come out moist.  So I cook per the instructions based on size of turkey. 
I'm glad I got this much of a picture.  You know how you are in a hurry to get everything finished and on the table.  Here is my other observation of the turkeys.  The turkey that was brined the meat came off the bone very easy.  None of the rubbery bits on the ends.  When I finished taking it off the bone the bones just fell apart.  There was nothing left.  The other turkey did not come apart as easily and the bones stayed together. So that made me realize that the brining made it more tender.  So if you have ever wanted to brine but wasn't sure about trying.  Go for it.  This recipe was easy and taste great!
I wish I still had some of that turkey now for a good sandwich.

Pioneer Women Apple Cider Turkey Brine Recipe
3 cups apple juice or apple cider
2 gallons cold water
4 Tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
5 cloves are garlic minced, I didn't use but go for it.
1 1/2 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
3 Tablespoons peppercorns
5 whole bay leaves
peel from three large oranges


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete