Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup

For the last week they have been telling us we would have a snow day yesterday.  Well actually I think they call it a First Alert Weather day now. We got a little snow but the cold temperatures are the real story here.  What do you need on a snow day but a nice bowl of hot soup.  I have been wanting to try this broccoli cheese soup for a while.  I bought the ingredients on Sunday so I was ready.
I might have to add a grilled cheese sandwich with my bowl tomorrow. 
 I didn't use all that broccoli but couldn't remember how much I needed when I bought it.
 Start with 3 Tablespoons butter.  But in a large pot to melt.
 Chop a medium onion and add to the butter.  Cook until softened.
 While the onions are cooking, measure out 3 Tablespoons flour
 1 cup half and half
 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth.
 The onions are cooked so add the flour.
 Stir it around and let get golden brown.
 Alternate adding half and half
 And broth until it is all added.
 Stir well to make sure there are no flour lumps.
 Add 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
 Slice about 2 carrots into thin rounds.  I might grate mine next time.
 Then chop about 3 cups broccoli.  You don't want it in large pieces.  I thought I had mine small enough but when I ate it there were a few that were larger than I thought.
 Cook it for about 20 minutes.
 Doesn't this look good?
 Grate 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese.
 Add to the soup.  Let cook until melted. I also added some salt and pepper.
Spoon up and enjoy.  Nothing better on a cold day.

Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe

3 Tablespoons butter
medium onion chopped
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup half and half
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 large carrots sliced thinly
3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded


2 comments:

  1. Beth, I love all of your recipes! Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I’m glad you are enjoying them. It nice to hear back from people that they have tried them.

    ReplyDelete