Friday, October 19, 2012

Fried Dill Pickles

Fried Dill Pickles have become very popular in restaurants.  They were also very popular at fairs.  This will probably be the last recipe I do for the Texas State Fair.  It has been fun finding the new recipes.  These are very easy to make and would be great to fix for family and friends.
The batter is like many other batters that you might use of vegetables.
The full recipe calls for a whole jar of pickles.  I was just making us a little snack so I drained a handful of the pickles.
I halved the recipe so I added 1/2 c butter milk to a bowl.
To the buttermilk add some hot sauce.  You can add as much or as little as you like.  If you don't like spicy foods I would not leave it all totally I would only add a drop or two.
In a flat plate or pan add 1/2 c all purpose flour.  Again this is half the recipe.

1/2 c cornmeal.  Some cornmeal will be yellow mine was white.
It called for Cajun seasoning and I did not have any so I put some cayenne pepper in mine.
Set your bowl of buttermilk next to the plate of flour mixture.
Drop your pickles in the buttermilk.  Make sure they are coated well.
Then drop in the flour mixture.  Make sure they are coated well.

Drop into the hot oil.  Turning when brown so both sides will cook.
A warning your fingers will get very messy dipping these.
The finished product.  I mixed up a little of our favorite dipping sauce, ranch dressing with a drop or two of Dreamland bbq sauce.

Fried Pickles Full Recipe

1 jar 32 oz dill pickle slices drained
1 c buttermilk
2 T red pepper sauce
1 c all purpose flour
1 c cornmeal
2 T Cajun Seasoning
oil for frying.

***Hint: Make these when your oil needs to be changed in your fryer.  The cornmeal and flour will make a mess of your oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment