Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mexican White Cheese Dip

This recipe was billed as white cheese dip like the Mexican restaurants.  We like our local Mexican restaurant, Rosies, white dip so I had to try this for gameday.  Better to eat chips than finger nails during this game.
The original recipe said that it was kid friendly.  That translates into not very spicy.  We like really spicy foods so I played with it a little, a little bit too much.  I will explain as I go.
They cooked it on the stove in a double broiler but, it's gameday and I have football to watch and do not have time to stand over the stove stirring all day. I put it in my small crock pot and put a liner in. Whenever I put cheese in the crock pot I try to use a liner because it really makes a mess.
I cubed the Velveeta cheese.  This is their white cheese.
Add 1 Tablespoon butter.
1/2 cup of milk.  You can add more later if it is too thick for you. Let the cheese melt before adding the additonal ingredients that follow.
This is the first thing I changed.  The recipe calls for 2 cans of green chilies.  I know that green chilies are not very spicy so I exchanged one for jalapenos.  The recipe did not say if you were to drain them or not, but when I opened the can there wasn't much juice on either can so I dumped both without draining.
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
This is an addition by me and I probably wouldn't put it in again.  1 teaspoon chili powder.
This was another of my additions 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.  I would probably do either the jalapenos or cayenne pepper.  This dip has a slow burn.  It wasn't hot at first bite but it came back to bite you.
Mix well and let the flavors blend.
It's ready to eat with chips.  It was very good even though it was a little spicy.  If you are fixing this for kids just add the two cans of chilis and you will be fine.

Mexican White Cheese Dip Recipe

1 lb white American cheese cubed
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon butter
2  4 oz cans chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
cayenne pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment