Friday, September 27, 2013

Buttercream Icing

I have been on a search for the perfect icing for cookies.  I wanted something a little different.  This one turned out perfect, and I think you could use it for cupcakes or cakes as well.  Very easy to make.  It is a little deceptive about how much it makes.
It really doesn't take much to make this icing.
Start with 2 sticks of room temperature sticks of butter.  Room temp is a little bit more firm than softened.
Whip the butter.  It will take a little work because it is firm.
Add 4 cups confectioners' sugar one cup at at time and mix after each cup.
Add 1 teaspoon clear vanilla.  If you are going to color the icing using clear isn't as important.
Add 4 Tablespoons milk.  Can use light cream if you like.
Pour in a little at a time and mix after each addition.
Give it another good whip and scrap down the sides.
Add the coloring.  Let me say this here.  I have been on a search for the perfect color to represent the Crimson Tide.  After this mixing I am still looking.  I think I would be better off using red than trying to create crimson.
This turned out more of a mauve than crimson. At least it taste good.
I ended up not using these to decorate the cookies.  You can find these in lots of places now.  I think I saw them at Walmart.  They come in handy when decorating cookies.
I've got my cookies lined up and ready to go.  These are the best sugar cookies if I do say so myself.
I used an offset spatula to ice the cookies.
Sorry about the pink elephants.
Then I came back with the royal icing to decorate.  I added a small chocolate chip for the eyes.
How many players jerseys can you name?
This is my basket of food colors.  There are two types.  The bottles you squeeze the color into the icing.  The small pots you use a toothpick to put the color into the icing. The squeeze bottles are easier but sometimes you can't find the right color.

Buttercream Icing Recipe

4 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup unsalted butter room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 Tablespoons milk



No comments:

Post a Comment