Monday, September 23, 2013

Chili's Copycat Salsa

We love Chili's salsa, well I think it's their chips we really like and use the salsa as an exuse to order the chips.  I have been on a quest to make a good salsa.  I have tried a couple and they were good but when I found this recipe that says it is a copycat of Chili's I had to try it.  I put it to the husband test.  While it was good, it was missing some heat.
I ended up adding two more jalapenos to the recipe to try and add some heat.  Even added some of the seeds.  The recipe calls for 3-4 cans whole jalapenos (not pickled) I could not find them at the store so I resorted to fresh.
Drain the 2 cans of whole tomatoes, and place in the food processor.
Add 1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Quarter an onion and place in food processor.
Slice and deseed the jalapeno.  Yes I wore gloves when cutting the jalapenos.
Chop.  It is looking good. I tasted it and this is when I decided to add the additional jalapenos.
2 teaspoon lime juice.  I only had Key lime juice.  You could use the juice on half a lime too if you like
I added a few sprigs of cilantro too.

It turned out pretty good.  I will try it again. I do think the canned tomatoes were the key.  They have more flavor than the fresh ones.

Chili's Copycat Salsa Recipe
2 cans (14.5 oz each) whole tomatoes, drained
3-4 canned whole jalapenos ( not pickled)
1 onion quartered
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon lime juice



1 comment: