Thursday, June 14, 2012

Squash chips

I have been asked by some to include some healthy recipes. I found this one a few weeks ago on Pinterest.  Don't you just love Pinterest?  Don't know what we did before we found that site.  Anyway.  This recipe is for chips made out of squash.  I included some zucchini too.  I was amazed how good they were.  If you make them have people try them before you tell them what they are made from. I want to try some different veggies later this summer too.  My sources tell me that there will be a good crop of squash and zucchini so we will have many opportunities to make these. Good thing too because they shrink down to almost nothing.
I started out with three yellow crookneck squash and one zucchini.
The trick here is to slice them really thin and trying to get them all about the same size.
Take your cookie sheets and spray them with non stick spray.  I have a confession to make.  I tried these the other day and they did not turn out.  My problem was that I used parchment paper on my cookie sheets.  This did not let them dry out enough.  Learn from my mistakes.

I ended up with three cookie sheets full.
Pick out some spices you want to try.  The recipe calls for salt on them but I thought I would try some different things too.
I put salt on all of them but then added pepper to only half.  I must say the pepper tasted really good.  Gave the chips a little bit of a kick to them.
I put a steak seasoning on some and chili powder on some.  The steak seasoning was pretty good, but for spice I think the pepper was better.
I put a little of rib rub and Italian seasoning on this tray.  They were both pretty good. Place the cookie sheets in a preheated 200 degree oven for about 3 hours.  I learned something else useful.  After each hour turn them pieces so that each side has a chance to dry out and get crisp.


The finished product.  That was all that was left from 3 trays.  Of course there were a few missing..

Squash Chips Recipe

as many squash and zucchini squash that you can cook
Slice very thin.
Spread out on a non stick sprayed cookie sheet.  Put the pieces close together but not touching.  Sprinkle them with salt and whatever other seasoning you would like.  Place in a preheated 200 degree oven for 3 hours or until the desired crispness is reached.

If you happen to try some additional veggies please let me know how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment