Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cranberry Pecan Zucchini Bread

With the explosion of fresh zucchini this year, the search is on for new recipes to use it all.  I found this new bread recipe last night and could not wait to try it.  So this morning I got the ole grater out and set out to try it.  I was not disappointed and don't think you will be either.  I want to try it again but use dry cherries and walnuts.  This is the lightest bread recipe that I have tried.
I was glad that Publix had their cranberries on sale the other week and I had some in the pantry.
Grate your zucchini first so you can drain the liquid off of them before you add it to the mix.
To two eggs add 1 1/3 c sugar.
Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla to that then mix.  My vanilla is clear so it is hard to see in the picture.
Blend those together really well.
Drain the liquid off the zucchini. Love my handy dandy small strainer.
Dump that into the egg mixture.
Add to that 2/3 c melted butter.  If you melt in the microwave wait a few minutes so it is still not hot.  Don't want to cook the eggs before their time.

Give that a few beats with the mixer.
Then add the cooled melted butter.
Add 2 teaspoons of baking SODA. I have had some kitchen disasters before when I was in a hurry and added powder instead of soda.
A pinch of salt.
Add one cup of all purpose flour at a time until you have 3 well mixed.
After the flour add 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
And 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Then add 1 c of cranberries.  One of the Craisin bags is right at or maybe a little over 1 cup.
Rough chop 1 cup of pecans to add to the mix.  You could also use walnuts.
Give the batter one more mix.
Then you will want to grease and flour two loaf pans.  After the pound cake stuck on me last week I decided I would go back to greasing and flouring the pans.  I have a stick of shortening that I use just for this.  I scoop some out on a paper towel and then run it around the pan.
Dump a little flour in the bottom of the pan and move it around until it is all covered.
Two pans greased and floured.
You could also make this in small loaf pans if you wanted to give some away.  Not sure but probably 4 or 5 small loaf pans would be needed.  I would grease and flour 4 and go from there.  You can also make some up and freeze them.
Batter is in the pans. Insert into a 350 degree preheated oven.
I checked it after 50 minutes to make sure that it was done.  I inserted a toothpick in to see if it comes out clean.  That is for those of you that are new to cooking.
My two golden loaves.  After they cool completely I will wrap then in press and seal or foil.
I couldn't wait to try it so I had to cut a piece while it was still warm.  I was not disappointed.  This recipe is a keeper.

Cranberry Pecan Zucchini Bread Recipe

2 eggs
1 1/3 c sugar
2 t vanilla
3 c grated and drained zucchini
2/3 c melted butter
2 t baking soda
pinch of salt
3 c all purpose flour
1/2 t nutmeg
2 t cinnamon
1 c pecans chopped
1 c cranberries
Grease and flour two loaf pans.  Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for about 50 minutes.

****  This recipe can have pecans or walnuts and raisins or cranberries.  You can choose whichever is your favorite.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard that some people grate their zucchini and freeze it now so that they can use it this fall and winter to make bread. I think I will try that.

    ReplyDelete