Monday, June 11, 2012

Chocolate Boil Cookies

These cookies are called many things by many different people.  Some people call them chocolate boil cookies, others call them no bake chocolate cookies.  I call them a thorn in my side.  I have tried oftentimes unsuccessfully to make these cookies.  That is a confession I make here to my readers.  I have a hard time making no bake cookies.  I feel better now.  I decided I would try and conquer my fear of these cookies and succeed or fail I would share it with you.  I am happy to report THEY WORKED!!
I think my problem has always been rushing them during the boiling stage.
Such simple ingredients for such a difficult recipe.  I like Ghirardelli chocolate and that includes cocoa.

You add milk, butter, sugar, and cocoa to the pot.  You have to stir continuously to keep it from sticking.  I started it out at a lower temp and then raised it as the butter melted.  You will want to make sure that the lumps are out of the cocoa and sugar.  Keep stirring until it is at a hard boil.  Let it boil for a minute.  Don't rush it.  Keep stirring to keep from sticking.  After it has been boiling for a minute, remove from heat and add the peanut butter, oatmeal and vanilla.
Sorry I did not have more pictures but it was hard to stir and take pictures too.  You have to work quickly after you put the oats and peanut butter in to get it mixed well.  Then use a spoon and drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.  Allow them to cool, and cross your fingers that they will firm up.

Chocolate Boil Cookies Recipe

2 c sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 c milk
1 c peanut butter, smooth or crunchy will work
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 c oatmeal
waxed paper

In a heavy saucepan bring to a boil, the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk.  Let boil for 1 minute then add peanut butter, vanilla, and oatmeal.  on a sheet of waxed paper, drop mixture by teaspoonfuls, until cooled and hardened.


No comments:

Post a Comment