Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chicken and Potato Casserole

A form of this recipe was in that Dedication Day cookbook I told you about, but it had pork chops instead of chicken.  Well the pork chops had to be browned before they were added to the casserole and then it still cooked for an hour or so.  My mother always told me it was too difficult to make so we didn't have it very often.  I loved the goopy sauce in this casserole so one day I decided to use boneless chicken.  So here is my creation.
Boneless, skinless chicken breast, onions (got to have onions) potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, and milk.
To 2 cups of milk add two cans of cream of mushroom soup.  I use the healthy request because I think they are less salty than the other cream soups.  You could probably use 2% milk too.
Whisk those items together.
Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick spray.  I like to add a couple of ladlefuls of the milk mixture to the bottom of the pan. Preheat your oven to 350.
Slice your onion into rings.  Slice them fairly thin.
Then start slicing your potatoes.  How many potatoes you use depends on the size of the potatoes.  If you have large ones it may only take like 2, 3 at the most.  Smaller ones it will take more.  I slice them one at a time and start the layer so I will know how many to cut. Slice them fairly thin so they will cook thoroughly.
Start layering the potatoes in the bottom of the dish.  I salt and pepper lightly each layer.
Add some onion rings on top of the layer of potatoes.
Continue to layer the onions and potatoes until you have a couple of layers.  Then add the chicken on top and a few more onion rings.  Pour the milk mixture over the top, making sure to cover the chicken and potatoes well.  Place in the 350 preheated oven.  Bake for about one and a half hours.  In the last 30 minutes you can increase the temp to 375 if you like.
Finished casserole.  I have also added some cut carrots to the potatoes.  They have to be sliced thin as well so they will cook.

Serve with some fresh home grown green beans and left over cheese muffin.  Hope you enjoy your dinner.

Chicken and Potato Casserole Recipe

2 or 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast (can use strips too)
3 large potatoes or 5-6 smaller ones
1 large onion
1 c milk per 1 can cream of mushroom soup
This recipe is very easy to make for a large group.  The 9x13 pan I use 2 cups milk and 2 can soup

Slice the potatoes and onion into thin slices.  Layer the two vegetables.   Add chicken pieces to the top. Pour the soup mixture on top.  Bake for 1 1/2 hours on 350.



No comments:

Post a Comment