Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tailgate Hot Dog Chili

We were having a tailgate party and I knew we needed chili dogs.  I wanted to do a hot dog bar with all the fixings.  But I knew that would take a whole lot of those little cans of hot dog chili.  So I was in search of the perfect hot dog chili recipe.  This one is great.  I might have to make up another big batch to put in the freezer.
This reheated really well in the crock pot on gameday.

I made a couple recipes of this at one time but I am going to share with you what it takes for only one recipe.  So you will see large amounts that might not look right with what I am telling you.
I decided to do all the seasonings at one time in a small bowl.  It's how they do it on the cooking shows. 1 Tablespoons dried onions.
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups water
12 oz chicken stock
4 oz tomato paste
All the ingredients are in the pot.  I was worried because it was so thin.  By the way I forgot to take a picture of 1 lb of ground beef.  Now I will tell you this.  I browned my ground beef. The recipe said to put the unbrowned ground beef in with the broth and water and cook.  I don't know about you but I like to drain the fat off the beef.  So I guess that is how I forgot to take the picture.
This is after cooking for 2 hours. It will thicken up even more if you make it ahead of time and then reheat. It smelled wonderful and filled the house. Now for another tip.  A friend of mine told me what a friend of hers does with her chili dog sauce.  She puts the ground beef in the blender after it is browned and makes it very small pieces.  I will do that next time.  I had some left over and I have frozen it in small batches for later.  I may never buy hot dog chili again.

Tailgate Hot Dog Chili Recipe

1 lb ground beef
4 cups water
12 oz chicken broth
4 oz tomato paste
1 Tablespoon dried onions
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper


No comments:

Post a Comment