Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

In my continued quest to try different vegetables today I am trying spaghetti squash.  I have had it a long time ago, but this was the first time I have cooked it myself. There is a bit of irony here.  I have talked for several days about making spaghetti squash, nevertheless, we sit down to dinner and my husband shares with me that he doesn't like spaghetti squash. I was a little surprised because there isn't much he doesn't like.  After dinner though he did tell me it was is favorite of the spaghetti squash dishes he has tried that he didn't like.  I guess I won't be making this dish again.
Yes that is what a spaghetti squash looks like.  You can use homemade meatballs and sauce if you like.
Heat the meatballs and sauce on the stove.
Cut the squash in half.  Those are seeds in the middle.
Use a spoon to scrap out the seeds.  There is a thick membrane in there that is a little tough to get out.
Place on a cookie sheet.  Brush the cut halves with olive oil.
Turn the cut side down.  I brushed the outside with olive oil too. Place in a preheated 375 oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
This is after 30 minutes in the oven.  I put it back in for another 10 minutes.  The middle still seemed a little firm.
I turned it over and placed it in this perfect little dish for this recipe. Notice the edges are nice and brown.
Using a fork pull the sides down to make the "spaghetti" noodles.
All fluffed.
I sprinkled with a little Parmesan cheese.
Top with the meatballs.
Spoon the sauce on top.
Sprinkle with cheese, and then place in the oven to melt the cheese.
Once the cheese is nice and bubbly it is time to eat.
This is the shell after you are finished.  You could take the spaghetti out of the shell and mix with the sauce if you like.  The recipe also said that this spaghetti is glutten free if you are looking for recipes that are glutten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment