Thursday, October 3, 2013

Jalapeno Popper Wontons

I had a surprise for my husband this past Saturday for one of our game day treats.  He likes jalapeno poppers and the restaurant that use to make them stopped.  He has not been able to find any to replace those.  I saw this recipe and thought I would try them for him.  I even enjoyed them.  The jalapenos that I have bought lately have not been very hot.  I am not really sure why.  A friend suggested it might be because it has been so wet this summer.  Sounds as good as anything.  Try these for your next game day tailgate.
You can find won ton wrappers in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
I should say that I made up half a recipe of these so what I will be showing will be half the recipe.  Start with 4 oz softened cream cheese.
Add about 1/4 or a little more shredded cheddar cheese.
Add about 1 1/2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped.  You might want to wear gloves to chop the jalapenos.
You will want the jalapenos to be chopped very fine.
Put all the ingredients together.
On a cookie sheet lay out some of the won ton wrappers.  I learned something.  I think I pulled two off together several times and when I figured it out I was a little worried but I think they did better than the thin ones.  The thin ones seems to get tears in the middle and the filling escaped.
Mix the filling well.  It will look like a cheese ball mix.
Take about 1 teaspoon of the mixture.
Place in the middle of the wrapper.
Place water in a bowl.
Dip your fingers in the water.
Using your wet fingers run them down the sides of the wrapper.
Then fold over and push out the air and pinch the sides together.  Check the corners well because they sometimes like to pull apart.
This is how many 1/2 the recipe will make.
While the oil is heating double check some of the edges to make sure they are sealed.
Fry them in small batches.  Turning when one side is brown.
Getting nice and brown.
Drain on a rack.
Serve warm.  They were really good.  Not too spicy. You could make it as spicy as you like.


Jalapeno Popper Wontons Recipe (whole recipe)

1 package wonton wrappers
8 oz package cream cheese softened
3 jalapenos seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
oil for frying


No comments:

Post a Comment