Monday, October 7, 2013

Roasted Kale

I don't know if you have seen or heard about kale but it is the hotest thing since sliced bread.  All the magazines and cooks on TV are singing the praises of kale.  It is suppose to be packed full of vitamins and minerals.  It is the new super food.  Well you know what comes next.  I just had to try it.  I was apprehensive to say the least.  It looks like turnip greens or collards and I don't like either.  I bought a small bunch at the farmers market the other day to try.  Since roasting vegetables are my favorite thing these days that is the direction I went to try this vegetable.
I kept the kale in a glass in some water until I was ready to use it.
You will need to pull the greens off the stem.  This is a thick stem.
Break the leaves into pieces and place in a bowl.
Pour some olive oil in the bowl and toss the greens to coat.
I put a rack in the bottom of the cookie sheet, then place the pieces of kale on the rack.
Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
I put a little Parm cheese on top too.  I thought it might be easier to get the husband to try this with some cheese.
Place in a preheated 375 oven for about 15 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.  It is suprisingly crisp.  The rack on bottom allows the kale to get crispy on bottom too. It taste a lot like the roasted cauliflower that I have made.  Give it a try.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I have some other recipes I will be trying soon using kale.


No comments:

Post a Comment