Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Easy 7 Layer Bars

I had forgoten how easy and good these little bars were.  I asked my husband what he wanted for dessert last weekend and he described these little bars.  He didn't remember the name of them.  I think he will remember next time.  I have heard them called several different things Magic bars, 7 layer bars and seems like there was another name.  They are so easy to put together I don't know why it has been a while since I made them.
If you are like me you probably keep these things in your pantry.
Start with 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs in a bowl.
Melt 1 stick of butter
Pour butter into the cracker crumbs
Mix well
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Press, press, press into the bottom of the pan so that the bottom is covered and they are even.
The bottom is pressed out.
Add about 1 cup shredded coconut.  You can always add a little more.
Add 1 bag butterscotch chips.
Spread them around on top of the coconut.
Add a bag of semisweet chocolate chips.  I love Ghirardelli chocolate!
Sprinkle around evenly.
Add 1 cup chopped nuts.  I used pecans.  You can use any kind of nuts.
Sprinkle on top.
Last step pour a can of sweetened condensed milk.  I used fat free.  Just drizzle it all over the top. Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 28-30 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.  I wish you could smell it. Let set for about 8 hours.  I know it will be hard to not cut it but trust me it will cut much easier after it has set.  Resist the temptation to cut it early.
Look at all that gooey goodness.

Easy 7 Layer Bars Recipe

1/2 cup butter melted
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 cup shredded coconut
1 bag butterscotch chips
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk



No comments:

Post a Comment