Monday, June 23, 2014

Quinoa Granola

Well with Father's Day here I had to make my dad some new granola.  I sure am glad he likes it so it gives me a chance to try out some recipes. This one is pretty easy and would have been even better had I read the directions all the way through first.  I will help you not make the same mistakes that I did.
You can get by without all the dried fruit.  I mixed it and I will tell you more about that in a minute.
Start with 2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup uncooked quinoa.  I think this is the way I like quinoa best.
1 cup slivered or rough chopped almonds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup coconut But DO NOT ADD it now.  Add it at the end of the baking time so it will not get scorched.
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Measure out 1/4 cup honey and 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
Pour the honey in the oats
And the melted coconut oil
Stir until all the parts are coated well.
Spread out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place in a preheated 350 oven. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
The recipe called for chopped dried apricots and either dried cranberries or cherries.  I put half cherries and half cranberries. The recipe calls for 6 oz of each.  I hate when the recipe calls for oz in something like this.  I just guessed.
Taken out of the oven.
I put it back in the bowl to cool so I could add the fruit.
Add the dried fruit.
Mix well.  Store in an airtight container.

Quinoa Granola Recipe

2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup quinoa
1 cups slivered almonds
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup coconut
6 oz dried apricot
6 ox dried cherries or cranberries

Place in preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with coconut and bake for another 3-5 minutes.

















No comments:

Post a Comment