Monday, June 9, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Last week I finally got around to making the taco stuffed shells.  Within that recipe was a recipe for homemade taco seasoning and homemade enchilada sauce (check back tomorrow for that recipe).  I had the ingredients and the time so I thought I would try  my hand at both.  The taco seasoning was very easy to make, but.... If you do not like very spicy foods you might want to tone down the cayenne pepper.  We like spicy food and this one had a pretty hefty kick to it.  You could double the recipe and save some for another day.
The original recipe called for smoked paprika and I did not have that so used regular paprika.
I doubled the recipe when I made this but I am sharing just the single recipe.  1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt.  I did not use the full amount of salt.  I thought it was a lot of salt.
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon corn starch.  I have made taco seasoning before and it did not call for corn starch.  Corn starch is used as a thickener so I thought I would try it.
Mix well.  Store in an airtight container.


Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe

1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon corn starch


No comments:

Post a Comment