Thursday, August 1, 2013

Key Lime, White Chocolate and Coconut Scones

I was looking for some new scone recipes to try and this one caught my eye.  I like key lime and can't go wrong with chocolate so I had to try them.  These flavors really went well together.  I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to make them because I couldn't find one of the key ingredients.  But perseverance won out and I found what I needed.  More about that in a minute.
See that chocolate bar. That was my hold out.  The recipe called for a Lindt Excellence White Coconut bar.  I looked at Target first because they have a nice selection of chocolate.  Not there.  Checked Walmart.  Didn't really think it would be there and sure enough not there.  A few days later I thought about trying Walgreens or CVS to see if they had it.  First stop Walgreens and they had it.  So if you want to make these stop by Walgreens to pick up the chocolate.  It taste really good too.  I know some people do not like coconut but I think it is more of a texture thing.  This has the flavor but not the texture of coconut.
I started out thinking I could use the food processor but it didn't work so I was back to mixing by hand. Start with 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour.
1/2 cup +2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces.
Now I'm in the bowl cutting the butter in by hand. 
When it is all cut in add 2 Tablespoons key lime juice.
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoon key lime zest.  It smells so good.
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
Mix well.  The dough will be sticky.
Chop the chocolate bar into chunks.  You don't want them too big though.
Add them to the dough.
Roll or pat  the dough out on a floured surface. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 16-18 minutes if they are thick.  If they are thinner start at about 10 minutes.
I cut mine out with a heart shapped cookie cutter but you could do the wedges if you like.  Also you could make them thicker.

Key Lime, White Chocolate and Coconut Scones Recipe

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup +2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon key lime zest
2 Tablespoons key lime juice
1 egg
2 Tablsepoons sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
3.5 oz bar Lindt excellence white coconut 

If you can not find the chocolate bar you can substitute 3.5 oz of good quality white chocolate and 1.2 cup sweetened coconut that has been pulsed to fairly fine crumbs in a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment