Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Creamy Cheesy Carrot Casserole

Don't forget Family Dinner Night Tonight.

I love carrots and love finding new ways to make them. This is such an easy recipe to make.  I think you could probably make it the night before and put it in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
It doesn't take much to make it just some carrots and some half and half.  I used fat free half and half.  Got to save where you can.
Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a skillet.
Add 1/4 cup of flour to the melted butter.
Measure out 2 cups half and half
Butter is melting.
Now add the flour.
Stir the flour until well mixed and all the large lumps are gone.
Now add the half and half.
Now peel and slice 3 cups of carrots.  I didn't measure them I just kept slicing until I had the bottom of the pan full.
Keep stiring the half and half mixture until it thickens some.
Add 1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt and fresh pepper
Stir that well.
Pour the mixture over the carrots.
Spread it out so that they are all covered.
Now add some cheese on top.  I forgot the cheese in the beginning picture.
Got it covered.
For the topping melt 3 Tablespoons of butter.
It's melted.
Then I added a cup of bread crumbs to the butter.  The recipe calls for making the bread crumbs yourself with 6-7 slices of bread that you have to toast....  I figure if they sell bread crumbs in a box then I can use those and not make them myself.  But if you want to go right ahead.
The bread crumbs are all mixed.
Sprinkle on top.
Cover with foil.  Place in a 350 preheated oven.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until heated through.
After the 20 minutes.
After the final baking.
It was a keeper.

Creamy Cheesy Carrot Casserole Recipe

3 cups peeled and sliced carrots
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
1 teasoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt ( I didn't add this)
6-7 slices white bread (or 1 cup bread crumbs)
8 oz cheese
3 tablespoons butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment