Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

I meantioned yesterday about the Family Dinner night tomorrow night.  More information.  Go to the SixSisterStuff.com site and register your family to participate tomorrow night.  This is Worldwide Family dinner night.  They encourage families to eat dinner together at 6:00 in your time zone.  This is a really neat project to participate with.  I encourage you to have dinner with your family frequently but try to make a point to do so tomorrow night.

Now on for tonight's dinner selection.
I had some chicken laid out for dinner and was looking for something new to create for dinner.  So I turned to my favorite place to find new recipes Pinterest.  I had everything I needed to make this so I gave it a try.  This one is a keeper too.
I cooked my chicken earlier so it would be cool enough to chop up.  You can use left over chicken or rotisserie chicken too.
Drain a can of black beans.  Rinse them well.
I have my chopped chicken and to that I added a half packet of taco seasonings.  The recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon cumin, coriander and garlic powder.  I didn't have those things so I used some left over taco seasoning I had on had.  Add what ever seasonings your family likes.
I added a little bit of chili powder because we like a little kick to our Mexican food.
Add the black beans.
Drain a small can of green chili peppers.
Add that to the chicken and black beans.
Pour half a can of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a sprayed baking dish.
Spread it around to even it out.
Lay 4 corn tortillas on the bottom.  Overlap if needed.
Add 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Spread some sour cream on top.
Add the rest of the enchilada sauce on top.
Spread out.
Layer with 4 more tortillas.
Layer the rest of the chicken.
Cover and place in a preheated 375 oven.  Bake for 30 minutes.
Then sprinkle with more cheese.
Add more sour cream.  Place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.
Dig in.

Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole Recipe

2 cups diced or shredded chicken breaset meat
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can diced green chili peppers drained
1 can red enchilada sauce
8 corn tortillas
2 cups Mexican blend cheese
1 8oz container sour cream


No comments:

Post a Comment