Thursday, January 3, 2013

Red Velvet Sugar Cookies

I was looking on Pinterest for some new red velvet recipes that I could make leading up to the championship game.  I found these cookies.  They looked good and I can't resist a good cookie recipe. They didn't disappoint.
Typical stuff for cookies and red velvet.
Place 3 sticks of softened butter and 2 cups of sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat well.
Add three eggs.
Add 4 teaspoons of vanilla
Add 2 teaspoon of almond extract
Add 1 teaspoon of red gel food coloring.  The gel is a little thicker than regular food coloring.  Gel colors can be found at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.
Mix well.
Add 2 Tablespoons of cocoa.
Add 1 teaspoon of salt
Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
Add 4 cups of all purpose flour.  Mix well between each cup.
Nice pretty red dough.  My butter was a little softer than I would have liked so the dough is kind of sticky.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for a while until it firms up. Normally I leave it overnight but today I baked after just a couple of hours in the fridge.
You will need to flour the counter pretty good and roll out the dough.  I used half at a time.  Then cut out whatever shapes you like.  I made elephants and footballs.
I use parchment paper on my cookie sheets.  Preheat oven to 350.  Bake cookies for about 6-8 minutes. Check after 6 minutes to see if you need to leave in longer.
The finished cookies. The perfect thing for a championship game.

Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Recipe

1 1/2 cup softened butter
2 c sugar
3 eggs
4 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon red gel food coloring
4 cups all purpose flour
2 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


No comments:

Post a Comment