Friday, January 11, 2013

Pioneer Woman's Roasted Acorn Squash

Several weeks ago on her show the Pioneer Woman made this roasted acorn squash.  It looked really good so I printed out the recipe so I would remember to try it.  Well as I said I had guinea pigs coming for Christmas Eve so I thought it would be a good addition to our dinner.
This is what acorn squash looks like.  They are more of a fall vegetable than the summer squash that we are use to.  I will tell you ahead of time that these were very hard to cut open.  In fact I had to get a little help cutting them in half. I was then able to cut into wedges myself.
This is the squash cut in half.  It kinda looks like pumpkin on the inside.
Scrape the seeds out of the inside.
Here are the cleaned halves.
I cut them into wedges and put them in a dish.  I couldn't put them in a bigger dish because I had limited space in my oven.
Sprinkle a little salt on top.
In a bowl mix one stick of softened butter with 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder.
Add 2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary.  I got the rosemary out of my new garden.
Mix it up really well.  I found a fork worked well.
Then smear the wedges with the mixture.
The squash all have the mixture on them. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven.  Bake for 20 minutes then take out and baste with the butter mixture on the bottom of the pan.  Put back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
The finished acorn squash.

Roasted Acorn Squash recipe

2 acorn squash
salt
1 stick softened butter
1/2 c brown sugar firmly packed
2 Tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

No comments:

Post a Comment