Monday, October 26, 2015

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

This is another one pot hardy meal.  As the weather turns cooler these meals are very popular.  There's a couple of things I might try differently and I will share those with you as we go along. 
Add a little garlic bread and you have a filling meal for the family.
You can leave the celery out if you do not like it.  There are several things you could do differently. Make the rice per the box directions.
Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a skillet or pan.
Add the chopped onion and celery.  Saute until soft.
Chop up your cooked chicken.  I cooked 2 chicken breast.  You could use a bought roasted chicken.  Whatever you have on hand.
Add the chicken and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup to the onion mixture.
Then add 1 1/2 cups frozen veggies.  I had frozen peas and used this.  I wished I had peas and carrots because I think that would have been really good.  Use what you like or have.
Add the prepared wild rice. Mix together well.
Add to a baking dish.
Top with cheese of your choice.
Top with slivered almonds.  The recipe said to toast the almonds.  I didn't.  Cover with foil.  Place in a preheated 300 oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Uncover and enjoy.
This dish also makes a lot so there are leftovers that reheat well.

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole Recipe

1 box wild rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups frozen veggies
1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium onion chopped
1-2 stalks celery chopped
2 cups cheese
1/2 cup almonds

Preheat oven to 300 Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment