Friday, November 22, 2013

Soft and Chewy Seven Layer Magic Bar Cookies

Back in the summer I made the 7 Layer Bars and shared that recipe with you and then in the fall when I had all those fresh apples I made a 7 Layer Bar with apples and shared that with you.  Both of those recipes are good and very easy to make. But now I have found all those wonderful flavors together in a cookie.  I really like making cookies.  I really don't know why but I do.  They are usually fairly easy to make and great to share.  I couldn't wait to try these.  So last weekend I made these for our Saturday football snack.  I couldn't wait for my husband to try these because he loved the bars.  He said they taste familiar but couldn't put his finger on it.  When I told him what they were he said he could see that.  These will be added to the rotation that is for sure.
The same things you would use for the magic bars except these do not have sweetened condensed milk, which makes them really, really sweet.
Start with 3/4 cup softened butter.
Add 1 egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar. Cream all ingredients for about 7 minutes, to make nice and fluffy.
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup graham cracker crumbs.
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Mix well. 
Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon scoop out cookie dough.  Then place in the fridge for about 2 hours to chill.  Or you can cover and place in the fridge for up to 5 days before baking. When ready to bake, place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for about 9-10 minutes, or until golden.
Fresh from the oven. Taste just like the magic bars.

Seven Layer Magic Bar Cookies Recipe

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350.  Chill dough for at least 2 hours and up to 5 days.  Bake 9-10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment