Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cheesy Gnocchi Casserole with Ham and Peas

Have you ever cooked with gnocchi?  I had not and was a little curious about them.  I had seen recipes with them and have seen them in the grocery store in the pasta section.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and good they were.  This is a great recipe to use after the holidays with that leftover ham.
Yes there are a few pieces of corn in the peas.  I mixed a few of my leftover frozen veggies.  Not enough to make a difference.
Start with 1 Tablespoon butter in a skillet or large pot.  The recipe calls for using a skillet that can go in the oven and I wasn't sure about using my cast iron skillet so I started this in a large pot and transferred it to a casserole dish.
Chop one medium onion.
Add the onion to the melted butter and sauté.
Chop up some ham.

Add the ham to the onions.
Add 1/2 cup chicken broth.
Add 3/4 cup of water to the broth.
Then add it to the ham mixture.
This is what the gnocchi look like. They feel like pasta that hasn't been cooked yet.
Add the gnocchi to the ham mixture.
Cover and cook until the gnocchi is slightly tender about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat.
Uncover.
Add about 1 cup frozen peas.  I didn't measure the peas.
Stir well.
Add 1/4 cup heavy cream.
I transferred it to a casserole dish.
Add 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese.
Well a little extra cheese doesn't hurt anything.  Preheat the broiler to high heat and place inside. Bake for about 3 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
Fresh and bubbly from the oven.
A nice warm filling meal for a cold fall night.

Cheesy Gnocchi Casserole with Ham and Peas Recipe

1 Tablespoon butter
1 onion chopped
8 oz ham
1/2 cup chicken broth
17.5 ox pkg potato gnocchi
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Preheat the broiler and bake for about 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment