Monday, November 11, 2013

Double Stuff Butternut Squash

I found this recipe on Pinterest the other day and the original post said this was a Rachel Ray recipe.  I changed things up a little bit and I will share the original recipe in case you want to use it instead of the way I made it.  I have cooked with butternut squash several times now and it really reminds me of sweet potatoes with a very mild flavor.  They are easy to cook and suppose to be good for you too.

I treated this recipe like twice baked potatoes.  I originally thought I would add sour cream but changed my mind after I started cooking.
I read on Pinterest the correct way to cut a butternut squash.  Start with cutting the stem end off.
Then about halfway up the squash cut through.
Then turn it around and get the other half.
And it should be cut through.  Note to self get a smaller butternut next time.
Scrap out the the seeds.  Place on a foil lined cookie sheet.
Brush the cut sides with olive oil.
Pepper it
Salt it.  Place in a preheated 425 oven.  Bake for about 35-40 minutes until tender.
While the squash is cooking, cook the bacon.  I like to cook mine in the microwave but if you want to cook it in a skillet that is okay too.
When the squash comes out of the oven let it cook for a minute.
Then using a spoon scoop out the insides leaving a little bit around the skin.
Place the insides in a bowl and add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
A little less than a cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
Part of the bacon.
The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese.  I don't like ricotta so I added about 2 oz of cream cheese.  I should have let it get softened before adding it but I thought of it at the last minute.
Then refill the squash halves.
Add some cheese on top. Place back in the oven for about another 15-20 minutes to let the cheese melt.
Fresh from the oven.
Garnish with more bacon and chopped green onions.  Then dig in.


Double Stuff Butternut Squash Recipe

1 butternut squash
olive oil
salt and pepper
4-5 slices bacon
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (2oz cream cheese)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme ( I did not use)
1 teaspoon dried sage ( I did not use)
sliced green onions

Preheat oven 425 Bake 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment