Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Cranberry Pecan Crusts Leaves

I saw these on Pinterest and it brought back memories of making little pie crust cookies with the left over pie crust dough when my mother made pies.  I had a set of small cookie cutters in animal shapes.  Add a little cinnamon and sugar to the tops and they were so good.  I guess this was my first cooking experience.
Unlike when I was little this recipe uses a store bought pie crust.  You can also toast the pecans.  I didn't but looking back it might be good.
Let the pie crust sit for a few minutes and get to room temp.  Then unroll on a lightly floured surface.  Then roll out a little.
Finely chop 1/2 cup dried cranberries.  You don't want big chunks.
Sprinkle the cranberries around on top of the pie crust.
Then finely chop 1/2 cup pecans.  If you are going to toast them, toast before chopping.
Sprinkle the pecans around the pie crust too.
Then unroll the second crust and place on top of the other crust.
Roll to seal the two crust.
You can see the cranberries and pecans through the crust.  That is okay.
Using small cookie cutters shaped like leaves, acorns, and pumpkins, cut out the crust.  I found through trial and error to  jiggle the cookie cutter as you are cutting and it helps hold the two pieces together.
Now I wish I had thought to lightly spray the tops an add a little cinnamon and sugar to the tops.  I think that would have been very nice.
Now gather up the scraps and reroll out.
The second roll actually looks really pretty.
And the last roll. Place the cookie sheets in a preheated 425 oven.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden
These are good to just eat but the recipe showed them being used on top of a pie or even a turkey pot pie after Thanksgiving.

Cranberry Pecan Crusts Leaves Recipe

1 pkg refrigerated piecrust
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries

Preheat oven 425.  Bake 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment