Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Molasses Cookies

Okay I am going to state up front that no pumpkins were harmed in the making of this recipe.  I was halfway through making this recipe when I stopped and double checked because I had not pulled any pumpkin out of the pantry.  Where's the pumpkin in these pumpkin spice cookies?  There's not any so if you want to call them molasses spice cookies that is fine with me.  I wanted to make these because I had some fresh homemade molasses to try.  I have never had any homemade before.  It didn't disappoint.  It was very good. If you live close to me and would like to purchase some for yourself let me know and I will put you in touch with the person that sells it.

This cookie calls for both salted and unsalted butter.  I keep a little unsalted in the freezer for times just like this. Land of Lakes sells half sticks of butter and that is what I have in the salted.
Add 1 stick unsalted butter, softened and 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of salted butter, softened to a bowl.  Then add 2 cups sugar.
Beat the sugar and butter for 3 minutes with your mixer. It will get nice and fluffy.
Add 2 eggs one at a time and beat between adding each.
Add 1/2 cup of molasses.
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.  The dough is beginning to smell really good.
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 3/4 cups plain flour.  Add one cup at a time and mix well after adding each.
I started out using a scoop to drop the cookies but the dough was pretty sticky so I ended up using a spoon.  Leave about 2 inches between the cookies.
Be sure to use parchment on your cookie sheets.  I don't know what I did before I discovered parchment paper.  Place in a preheated 325 oven.  Bake for 9-10 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.  The original recipe said after they had cooled to ice the tops with melted white chocolate.  I didn't think they needed anything else added to them.  They were sweet enough without the added chocolate.  If you want to ice them try it.

Dig in.  Taste like fall to me.

Chewy Pumpkin Spice Molasses Cookie Recipe

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoon vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
3 3/4 cup plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 325.  Bake for 9-10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment