Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Tailgate Sausage & Hash Brown Balls

Sausage balls are a staple around the south.  You can't go to a pot luck or party without them being served.  I didn't know I needed a new recipe for them but this one was interesting.  Now that I have tried them I don't think I will be going back to the old kind any time soon.  I like to make up a double batch and keep them in the freezer, so that is what I did this week. 

You know I had to bake a couple to see how they were.  They were the best. 
There are a couple of new things in these sausage balls, cream cheese and hash browns.
Start with 8 oz of softened cream cheese
1 1/2 cups bisquick
I mixed that up until the cream cheese was crumbly.
Add 1 pound sausage.  Now I always make two batches at a time so I can add 1/2 hot and 1/2 regular sausage.  You add whatever your family likes.
1/2 of a 30 oz bag thawed shredded hash brown potatoes.
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese.
Mix well.  The mixer is a big help. I used my small cookie scoop to help me make them into balls.  This is messy messy work.
This is the first batch.  I put them in the freezer while I was making the second batch.  I then decided to put wax paper between the layers to keep them from sticking.  When you want to bake just preheat the oven to 400 and bake for 20-22 minutes.  A little longer if they are frozen.
They are nice a golden brown.  They are nice and crunchy on bottom.  The cream cheese and hash browns are a nice addition.

Sausage and Hash Brown Balls Recipe

1 lb hot sausage
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 1/2 cups bisquick
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 of a 30 oz pkg hash browns.

Bake at 400 for 20-22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment