Monday, August 10, 2015

Chocolate Cherry Almond Brownies

I have had these cherry filled chocolate chips in my pantry for a while and have never known what to do with them.  I saw them in the store one day and thought I would pick them up because I thought it was something that might stick around for a while.   So finally yesterday I decided to find a recipe to use them.  I started looking for a brownie recipe that had chocolate chips and I was just going to replace these chips for the regular ones.  Then I ran across the Nestle web site and they had lots of recipes using this little chips and the other flavors as well.  I think I will be trying the other flavors too, especially now that I know where I can find some recipes.
These look like ordinary brownies but they are not.
 These are like a basic brownie recipe except this one does not use cocoa powder.
 The first thing I need to do is lightly toast the slivered almonds.  Measure out a 1/2 cup.
 Spread them in a single layer in a pan.  Place in a preheated 350 oven for about 5 minutes.  Watch them because you do not want them to burn.
 In a microwave safe bowl place one stick of butter.
 Add 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips.  Place in the microwave and microwave on High for 45 seconds.  Take out and stir.  Continue heating on High for 1 minute at a time, stirring after each heating until all the chips are melted.
 The chocolate isn't very hot but I don't want to put the eggs in just yet.  Nice a smooth chocolate.
 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
 3/4 teaspoon salt
 The almonds are done.  Set aside to cool.
 1 1/4 cups sugar
 3 eggs
 1 teaspoon vanilla
 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour.  Stir or whisk well.
 Add the almonds.
 This is what the little bag of chips looks like.  They taste like a chocolate covered cherries without the whole cherry inside.  They have two other flavors as well.
 1 cup of the cherry chips.  Save the leftovers.
 Spread out in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed.
 All nice and smooth.
 Add the leftover chips on top.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 30 minutes.
 The chips sunk down into the batter and they look and smell great.  Let cool before cutting.
These look so good. The recipe calls for making a cream cheese frosting to dollop on top.  I chose not to do that.  I think it would be a little too much.

Chocolate Cherry Almond Brownie Recipe

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cherry delightful chips, the leftovers on top
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds.

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment