Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Paula Deen's Foolproof Standing Rib Roast

I don't know how many of you have ever made a Standing Rib Roast but if you are like me you have always wanted to try one.  Every year at the holidays Publix add will show how to cook one and I always say I am going to try that one year.  This year when the ad came out my husband said why not this year.  So I got brave and decided I would make one for Christmas Eve dinner.  I have several guinea pigs oops I mean friends and family coming for dinner so it was a perfect time to try it.  I asked several of my friends that cook had they made one and they said the same thing I did "I've always wanted to try one but never have".  I read several different recipes and this is a mixture of what I learned.  I hope you too will get brave and try one because it really was easy and very good.  I would suggest you choose sides better than I did because I used both ovens and couldn't try Yorkshire Pudding this go around but I will next time.
Really all you have to have for the rib roast is salt and pepper, but after reading some things I wanted to add some things to the roasting pan. Leave the meat out for about 1to 1 1/2 hours to get to room temperature.
I got this great roasting pan from Bed Bath and Beyond and it worked great.  I added a little bit of beef broth that I had left over in the fridge to the bottom.  I added three stalks of celery.
I cut up a couple of carrots and an onion.  This should add some good flavor to the roast.  Salt and pepper the tops and sides.
You will set the roast in the pan bone side down and the fat side up.
I went out to my garden and cut some fresh rosemary to use on the roast and the squash side dish.
I put some pieces of the rosemary on top.  Preheat the oven to 375.
Put it in the 375 oven for one hour.  Do not open the door to look at it.
At the end of the hour turn the oven off and set the timer for 3 hours.  During this time DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.   I know it is tempting but don't do it.  At the end of three hours turn the oven back on to 375 and cook for about 40-45 minutes.  If you do not want any rare or medium meat in the middle you might want to cook it a little longer.  A thermometer inserted should register around 140 for rare to medium rare on up for more well done.
When you are ready to serve take it out of the oven and let sit for a few minutes to let all the juices settle throughout the meat. You can use some of the pan juice to make some gravy for the meat.  Sorry I didn't get any pictures of it sliced but we were ready to eat when it came out.  It was really good and I regret not trying it sooner.  It was the perfect Christmas Eve dinner and I think my guinea pigs really liked it too.  Just count backwards from when you want to eat to figure out when you want to put it in the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment