Thursday, December 20, 2012

Beef Stew

I have made this beef stew for a long time and it's one of those dishes that doesn't really have a recipe.  On the plus side you can make as much or as little as you want.  I usually make a big pot of it and freeze half to have another day when I might not have as much time to cook.  I also make my Mexican cornbread to go with it.  I will post the recipe for it tomorrow.
When I made this I was making a really big pot for a dinner with friends.  I will tell you how to make just one recipe of it.
I pour one can/jar of tomatoes.  I use a quart jar of tomatoes that my mother canned.  I add the beef stew mix. Mix those together well.
If you beef tips are in large pieces you will need to cut them into smaller pieces.  For one recipe about a pound of beef tips is about right.
Add the beef tips to the tomato seasoning mixture and cook until the meat is brown.  It won't be cooked all the way through yet but you want the outsides to brown and cook.
That broth is looking good.  The meat is all brown.  Now time to add the veggies.
I like my soups and stews to be nice and thick so I add two cans each of whole kernel corn, green peas and green beans.  You can drain all the cans and then add a little additional water or you can drain half and just dump half juice and all.
Add chopped and peeled potatoes, carrots and onions to the pot too.
I like to let it cook all day and let all those flavors blend. You will have to keep stirring it all day so that it won't stick on the bottom.
After a day of cooking.  Doesn't that look good.  It is good left over and freezes beautifully.


No comments:

Post a Comment