Thursday, November 1, 2012

Boiled Peanuts

Boiled Peanuts is one of those southern things that you either love or hate there's not any middle ground.  I love them but my husband hates them.  I always thought you had to make boiled peanuts out of the green peanuts because as a child I always remembered us pulling ups some peanuts in the garden early.  We would make the boiled peanuts before the rest were harvested.  I found this recipe from Christy Jordan and she used just raw peanuts.  These could even be made in the crock pot if you wanted to cook them during the day while you are gone.
Raw peanuts and salt are all you need.
Put the peanuts in a large saucepan.
Cover them with water.  They will float to the top so hold them down to make sure you have enough water.  I added additional water while they were cooking.
Add 1 cup of salt and swirl around in the water to make sure it disolves.
That is a pot of goodness right there.
All mixed up.  Cover and put on the stove.  Start out with the eye on medium high until it boils, then turn it down to simmer for about 3-3 1/2 hours.
The water is boiling good.
You can test them around the 3 hour range and see if they need to cook a little bit longer.  I decided mine needed a little bit more time so I cooked them an additional half hour.  Then drain the water off and wait for them to cool a little bit before you dig in.  Don't want to burn your fingers.  I had little elves at my house the day I was making them and they kept getting into my peanuts.
This is what they will look like after they have cooked.
Give them a try this fall.  They are great to munch on while watching a football game.


No comments:

Post a Comment