Friday, November 23, 2012

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole

I made this recipe up one year when I was making Thanksgiving dinner and needed to get as many things out of the way the day before.  The beauty of this casserole is you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge then bake it the day you want it.
These potatoes are a cross between mashed potatoes and loaded baked potato.  I have already cooked my potatoes for this discussion.
Peel and dice several potatoes.  The number of potatoes you need depend on how many people you are feeding.  Add salt, pepper and I added some parsley to the pot when you boil the potatoes.  I usually cook them for about 15 minutes after they start boiling.  Little tip here, if you put a wooden spoon across your pot it will keep it from boiling over.
Drain the liquid off the potatoes.  I set the pot back on the stove for a minute and you can hear the water sizzle a little as it evaporates off.  Then add some salt and pepper before you get started and it will work it's way through the casserole.
I also put a little bit more parsley to the mix too.  You could add chives if you like too.
I cooked some bacon in the microwave to be crumbled in the potatoes.
I started with a half stick of butter.
I added about 3/4 cup milk.  It is easier to add more than have to take away if you put too much in.
I mixed with a mixer this time.  Usually I just use the potato masher but I wanted nice smooth potatoes for Thanksgiving.
Then I added about a heaping 1/3 cup of sour cream.
I tasted the potatoes and thought another 1/4 stick of butter needed to be added.
And another 1/3 c of milk.
The bacon is cooked.  Let it cool and it will chop better.
Add the chopped bacon.
This is eyeballed but about 1 cup of cheese.
Mix it well.
Put in a sprayed casserole dish. Cover and when cool put in the fridge,
This is as good as licking the bowl for a cake.
I put them in the oven to get warm on Thanksgiving covered.  I baked them at 350 for about 20-25 mintues.  Then I added the cheese on top and put back in under the broiler.
Leave long enough for the cheese to melt and get nice and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment