Monday, November 19, 2012

25 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 10 Susanna's Sugar Cookies

Well today I am calling these cookies Championship Cookies.  I have two stories to tell about these cookies so please bear with me.

I borrowed this recipe from a dear friend of mine's dad.  The year Susanna started to work with us her dad sent her some cookies for Valentine's Day.  She hared them with us and they were the best homemade cookies I had ever had.  He was gracious enough to share the recipe with me and as they say the "rest is history".  I have not used any other sugar cookie recipe since.  And let me tell you I have made hundreds of these cookies since I received the recipe. I'm sure they will become a quick favorite of yours as well.

Now for the second story.  This past weekend we took my daughter to the Alabama football game.  I found a new elephant cookie cutter on Friday.  I was thinking in the back of my mind when I might be able to use it.  Then Saturday chaos happened in the top 10 football ranks and I knew I had to make some elephants.  I made a comment after Baylor won that I might have to make them some cookies for beating Kansas State.  Then Stanford got added to the mix.  Well the Baylor coach lost his chance at some of my cookies by badmouthing the SEC.  Well no cookies will be sent to the school for fear of violating some NCAA rule and getting their seasons' wins thrown out.

Now for the cookies....
Basic cookie ingredients.  I like these because they use butter flavored shortening instead of butter. Today I am making what I call a half recipe because I usually double this recipe.  But half made just enough to try out the new cutter.
To half a stick of shortening add 3/4 c sugar.
Cream those together well.
To the shortening mixture add 2 c plain flour, one cup at a time.  Mix well between cups.
This is the mixture with both cups of flour.
Add 1 teaspoon salt
Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.  Now is a good time to check the date on your baking powder.  You want to make sure it is fresh and in date.
Add 2 Tablespoon milk
One egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla.
And 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.  Don't know why the baking soda is added at the end but it is.
These are the two cookie cutters I am going to use today. I find that metal cutters work best.  The plastic cutters that have detail tend to stick.
Lightly flour the countertop.
I divided the dough into two balls.  I rolled it out a little thicker than I normally do because I wanted a thicker cookie.
You will want to use the cutter close to the edge to be able to get the most cuts per roll out.
Gather up the scraps ad reroll.
The first pan is ready to go into the preheated 375 oven.  You could even use 350.
While rolling out the second pan I remembered the mini chocolate chips I could use for eyes.
First batch is out of the oven.  Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a minute or two before you move to a place to cool.
The first sheet cooling.

Tune in tomorrow for the decorating of the cookies.  I haven't decided how I am going to ice them.  I have a couple of recipes that I want to try and a small batch of cookies is the perfect chance to try out some icing.

Susanna's Sugar Cookie Recipe

1/2 stick butter flavored crisco
2 c plain flour
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c butter flavored shortening stick
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all ingredients well with mixer.
Then add the following:
1 egg well beaten
2 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake for about 10 minutes.  I set the timer for 8 minutes to check them.  Depending on how thin you have rolled them out will depend on the cooking time.  It is easier to add time than let them burn by cooking too long.


No comments:

Post a Comment