Monday, November 26, 2012

25 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 5 Gingerbread Cookies

I don't really know where I found this recipe or how long I have been making it, but I do know it is one of the most requested things I make.  I have people starting about October wanting to know when I am going to make my gingerbreadmen.  I have looked at lots of recipes and this is the only one I have found with cardamon in it.  I guess that is what makes this different from other gingerbread recipes.  I have had people tell me that they don't like gingerbread but like these cookies.  Hope you will give them a try for your family.
Get everything out and ready.  I like Grandma's Molasses best.
I mix up several batches at one time so I do a little prep work before I get started to make things go much faster.  I put all the spices and baking items that need to be measured together.  This cup includes the following:
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
My kitchen smells so good when I am mixing up and baking these cookies.
Now to start putting them all together.  Cream together 1 1/2 cup sugar with 2 sticks butter that have been softened to room temperature.
To that add one egg.
2 tablespoon water
3 tablespoon molasses.  If you spray the cup with non stick spray it will come out much easier.
Mix well.
Now add 3 1/4 cup plain flour one cup at a time, mix well after each cup.
Now add the cup of spices.
Scrap down the sides and kinda scoop it into a ball.
Turn the ball out onto plastic wrap and wrap and put in the fridge.  The recipe says for a few hours but I always put it in over night.  They will be ready to roll out and bake tomorrow morning.
Before getting ready to roll out the cookies there are a few things you need to do ahead of time to make things easier.  Get out all your cookie cutters you want to use.
Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Lightly flour your surface and rolling pin so the dough won't stick.
Get one batch out of the fridge.
I cut it in half because it is easier to work with only part of it at a time.
This is the half I am working with.
Roll it into a ball and lightly flour it.
Now start rolling it out.  Turning it helps keep it the same size.  You will get your upper arm work out doing this.
The dough is rolled out.
Start cutting your cookies.  I made a feww of these cookies this time.  This is Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany.  My husband brought me back this cookie cutter this fall.

Here is a tray of some of my favorites.  These are ABC cookies.  Already been chewed.
Now to the gingerbreadmen.  When you get a tray filled place in a preheated 325 oven.  I start with 8 minutes and check them.  If you are baking for a long time by the end of the batches you might want to start with a lower time and just add to it as needed.
A nice batch of those.  I have all sizes and also some gingerbreadgirls too.
I had already put up some of the cookies when I took this picture.  I make all kinds of cookies.  I have Polar bears, buffaloes, trees, small houses, elephants, footballs,all in addition to the gingerbreadmen.

Gingerbread cookie recipe
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c butter softened
3 T molasses
1 egg
2 T water
3 1/4 c plain flour
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t ginger
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cardamon
1/2 t cloves

No comments:

Post a Comment