Friday, August 3, 2012

Bubbles and Squeak

In researching recipes for my tribute to England during the Olympics, this recipe caught my eye and made my laugh.  After reading the ingredients I thought this recipe was doable.  Can't say the same for some of the recipes that I ran across.  No bangers and mash or liver and onions on this blog.  I hope you will try this you might decide you like it.
I wanted this dish to be my main course for dinner so I made a small adjustment to the recipe.  Basically the originally recipe called for leftover cabbage and potatoes.  They regularly eat this for breakfast.  I have eaten some strange things for breakfast but cabbage!!!
Slice up your head of cabbage to get it ready to boil.
Boil the cabbage pieces in a pot of water.  Salt and pepper to taste. This can be done ahead of time.
Dice a small onion.
Brown the onion in a little olive oil.  Then set the pan aside.  You might want to add a little butter for flavoring.  Cabbage and potatoes can lack seasoning so the butter helps.
This recipe said that you could add some sausage or roast beef to the mixture.  I chose smoked sausage and I cubed it.  Brown it in a skillet.
Cut 4 or 5 medium size potatoes and cook in a pot of boiling water.  Season with salt and pepper.  You don't want to cook them as long as you would for mashed potatoes but more like for potato salad.  You want them cooked but you want them to retain their shape.
Drain the cabbage and let it cool.
Finely chop the cabbage and put it in the skillet with the onions.  You don't need to put it on the heat yet.
Drain the potatoes.
Just roughly mash them.  Smash might be a better term.

Dump the potatoes on top of the cabbage and stir.  You might need a bigger pot. I switched back to the pot that I cooked the cabbage in.
Add the chopped sausage to the mixture.  You want the potatoes to have that nice brown crust.
The finished product.  I decided we would have field peas with this.  Not sure if they have them in England or not.  This was a very filling dish.  I might make it again sometime.  Try this dish with your family during the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment