Monday, October 24, 2016

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts

Fall is in the air and with it comes some dishes we like to classify as fall, brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.  I don't know why we tend to serve these during the fall.  We can get them year round now.  Same with butternut squash.  But they are classified as fall veggies.  Anyway they are good any time you can make them.
I know that brussels sprouts gets a bad rep but roast them and try them that way.  That is really the only way to get them. I have some picky young men that love them that way.  I was actually told I can even make brussels sprouts taste good.  I will take that as a compliment. 
I have roasted these vegetables before but there is an interesting twist this time.
Peel and chop one nice size sweet potato.
Slice 1 lb of brussels sprouts in half.  I use frozen sprouts that have been thawed.  If you use fresh you need to steam them a little or they won't be cooked through.  This is the voice of experience talking.  Learn from my mistakes.
Pour a little olive oil and toss to coat.
Now sprinkle a little garlic and toss.
Now here is an interesting addition.  I will be doing this when I roast all my veggies from now on.  Line a baking sheet with foil.  Pour some olive oil on the foil.
Use your hand and coat the foil well.  It's yucky on your hand but it works.
Now spread out the veggies in the pan.
Now sprinkle some cumin in your hand so you can sprinkle it on top.  You don't want globs in one place.  You just want a touch of cumin in each bite.
Lightly sprinkled with the cumin.  You really can't see it well and that is what you want.
Now some pepper
Salt.  Place in a preheated 400 oven.  Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Measure about a Tablespoon or so red wine vinegar
Take the veggies out of the oven.
Drizzle the vinegar on top.  The vinegar adds a nice little bite to the veggies.  You could also use balsamic vinegar as well.
I wish I had some of these veggies right now for lunch.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts Recipe

1 lb brussels sprouts
1 large sweet potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon salt
pepper
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar

Preheat oven to 400.  Bake for 40-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment