Thursday, October 20, 2016

Bacon Spinach & Artichoke Pinwheels

Another Saturday afternoon of football and I needed a little snack to hold me over to our evening kick off.  These were the perfect thing.  Artichoke and spinach seem to go hand and hand then add bacon to the mix and it takes it over the top.
I will admit they did not turn out pretty, but sometimes it doesn't matter how things look but how they taste.  These taste great!
Most spinach artichoke recipes uses frozen spinach but this one uses fresh.  It didn't use a lot of the fresh so I will be looking for something else to use it up.
Start out by cooking the bacon.  I am going to cook it in the oven when I do the rest of the recipe.
I found the crescent roll sheets a couple of weeks ago.  Last year I looked and looked for it for some recipes.  Never found it.  So when I saw it in the store I grabbed a can.  Then couldn't remember what I wanted it for.  So this recipe came along and it was perfect.  I rolled it out on parchment so it wouldn't stick to the counters.
Normally for pinwheels they want to roll up the big piece but this recipe said to cut it into 4 pieces like I have done.
Then spread the softened chive and onion cream cheese on each piece.  I bet the garden vegetable would be good too if you don't like chives or onions.
Here are all four pieces with the cream cheese.
Drain a can of artichoke hearts.
Then chop them up.
I sprinkled them on top of the cream cheese.
Now for the spinach.  I rolled up a couple of pieces and made some thin slices.
Sprinkled that on top.
My bacon got a little too done but I used it anyway because it tasted fine.
Sprinkle on top.
The grate some fresh parmesan cheese on top.  Now they are getting a little full of ingredients.
Try and roll them up without loosing the ingredients.  This is why they were not really pretty.  I had them stuffed.
Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter.
Cut and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Get the melted butter
Brush the tops with the butter.  Place in a preheated 375 oven and bake for about 13-17 minutes.
The recipe says to eat them while they are warm.  I had some left over when the rest of my crew came in and they ate them cold and loved them.
You can also add a little more fresh grated cheese on top.


Bacon Spinach & Artichoke Pinwheels Recipe

1 can crescent rolls
3/4 cup softened chive and onion cream cheese
1 can artichoke hearts
4 slices cooked bacon
3/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
2 Tablespoons butter melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder--I didn't add this to the butter but you can.

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake 13-17 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment