Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Paula Deen Onion Smothered Pork Chops

The new fall Paula Deen magazine came in the other day loaded with fall favorite foods.  The only thing better was that Publix had their pork chops on sale the same week.  These nice thick bone in chops looked so good and they turned out to be delicious.  I normally get the little pork loin chops when I buy but these with the bone in were just too tempting to pass up.  Now if you don't like onions you might not want to continue with the recipe.  I hope you do because these turned out to be the most tender pork chops I have had in a long time. 
This plate just screams fall.  With the added roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and peas.  Now if someone will just tell the temperature that it is fall.  It was in the 90's today.  
Okay I will confess I used two onions instead of one.  I like onions.
Salt and pepper your pork chops.  Don't these look good?
You will want to start out in a skillet or pan you can put in the oven.  Saute the onions in a little olive oil to just get them tender. Remove from the pan.
Add a little more olive oil to the pan.  Let it heat up.
Add the pork chops to the pan.  You want a good sear on both sides.
Turn them and sear the other side.  Cook for just a couple of minutes on the stovetop.  Don't worry about cooking them through.  They will finish in the oven.
The recipe didn't say do this but I did.  Pour the can of French onion soup into the onions.
I could eat that right out of the bowl.  I love cooked onions.
Now add the mixture on top of the pork chops.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for about 20 minutes.
This is straight from the oven.   These chops were a little thick so I left them in the oven a couple minutes longer.  If you have a meat thermometer you can use that is check the internal temp.  It should be at 160.  I need to get one of those.
These chops were so good.  I will be making this again.  It wasn't hard to make and it didn't take long either.  In fact I picked up another can of French onion soup for the pantry so I will be prepared.  Keep some of those items in you pantry that you can use for those nights when you want to whip up something quick.

Paula Deen Onion Smothered Pork Chops Recipe

2 Tablespoons oil divided
1 onion thinly sliced
salt and pepper
pork chops
1 can French onion soup

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment