Thursday, September 22, 2016

Chocolate Buttercream



The birthday boy requested vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing, so his wish was my command.  It also gave me a good excuse to make chocolate buttercream icing.  I think it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

A little Star Wars going on with the cupcakes.  
This was a good buttercream recipe that just basically added cocoa.  I might try it for regular buttercream sometime, just add more powdered sugar.
Start with 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) softened butter.  Whip that until nice and fluffy.  Also you can whip it until it is almost white in color.
Add 3/4 cup cocoa.  Whip that.  Be careful or you will have cocoa all over your counter.
A pinch of salt.
4 Tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream
4 cups powdered sugar.  Add these one at a time or you will have powdered sugar all over the kitchen.
This is a new flavoring that I have found.  I heard about it or read about it.  Bakery emulsion.  It is a blend of vanilla, almond and a hint of citrus flavors.  It is suppose to make your homemade cakes taste more like bakery cakes.  You can add a little to a box mix to give it a little more flavor and use it in buttercream icing.  I really like the flavor of it in icings.  I found it at Hobby Lobby.  I think I saw where Walmart had it in the craft baking section.
2 teaspoons of vanilla.  This is what the emulsion loos like.
Whip well until nice and fluffy.
I used a large 1 M Wilton tip and a pastry bag to make a nice swirl on top.
Then I had these little Star Wars toothpick thingys that I added to the top of the cupcakes to make them festive.  The birthday boy was happy and that is all that matters.

Chocolate Buttercream Recipe
1 1/2 cups softened butter
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
4 Tablespoons heavy cream or whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
pinch salt




No comments:

Post a Comment